Sunday 28 October 2007

Compositional struggles

On-site sketch, Maktesh HaGadol,
W/C on Moleskine

24x21 cm

Yesterday's desert landscape has been the latest in a long series of attempts of grappling with one scene from my Spring holiday to the Negev.

Following on from several on site sketches, pastel sketches, some more compositional pencil drawings and a round of gouache and pastel sketches to establish highlights, I still felt that the composition of what I started with was too complicated and unnecessary. I felt I was struggling with elements where each elements worked in its own right but not as part of the painting.

Cropping the image on the left to leave out a difficult-to-read midground was my solution for the time being. It seems to work a lot better through this simplification. Click here to see the cropped image.
Pastel/Gouache on paper, Maktesh HaGadol
40x30cm


Pencil sketch of ridge detail

No comments: