Sunday 3 February 2008

Found papers. From somewhere. Project



Detail, Water spray and a low sun,
mixed media collage on paper

Yesterday's mail brought a lovely surprise: Lindsay had sent me the first installment of found papers from her day-to-day. I had mentioned to her an idea for a project that had been rumbling around my mind for a wee while: doing collage as in glueing paper onto paper is even more fun if the paper glued onto each other is found, not bought - found papers are those stumbled upon, incidentally or even accidentally - and most of Picasso's and Braques's papiers colles and Schwitters's Merzmalerei assembled such found papers.

With many of my friends and colleagues scattered across Europe and further afield, I wondered if they would not send me some found papers from their day-to-day lives - Found papers. From Somewhere.

Found papers could be tickets, sweet wrappers, flyers, beer mats, posters, - whatever can be easily posted, isn't bought for its own sake, and could be glued onto something else...

Lindsay's mailing now prompted me to finally pull these ideas together, to make up a small flier and to send it to the people I know elsewhere.

Similarly, if you're reading this and would like to be part of it, just drop me an email - see address on the sidebar and I could send you some more details.

The plan is to collect found papers over the next few months and then develop them into a series of collages - I don't have a much clearer idea than that at the moment, but am sure it'll develop - most art projects do that.

Detail, Water spray and a low sun,

Mixed media collage on paper


.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, that was fast. I think I mailed that letter 2 or 3 days ago. Good luck!

Yellow said...

Why does that look like it'd smell great too. Maybe because it's much more textural than thie kind of stuff I'd usually be drawn to. The details you chose to photograph make great compositions and suggest starting points for other works.

Gesa said...

Thanks, Lindsay - yes - that direction seems to be a lot faster than the other way round.
I wonder what smell it would have - but it's a good comment, yellow: good things should get to you in more than one way, shouldn't they?