Monday 23 March 2009

Now: some newspaper

... no, not to wrap yesterday's cheese, but yesterday's monotype experiments.

Well, for all the time we were there it did not stop raining. Now, RAIN was a bit too strong a word, more a persistent drizzle and the paper put up some brave resistance. The sketching went well, preparing the acrylics with some Lascaux extreme retarder (love the title) worked well too - it remained workable for about 20mins or so, and the copper plates are nice and solid to work as plate.

But, the moment it all came tumbling down, or rather: blowing up in my face was when I tried to pull the print: too much wind blowing in my face, into the sketchbook and the assorted paper mess with which I tried to keep my hands, clothes, bags etc reasonably clean.

Ok: lesson learned: minimise on paper setup in gusty gales; acrylics mixed with retarder also means: it can leave marks on your favourite clothing a lot longer than normal. LOL.

But, these still made all of it worthwhile, don't you think so?

LL22032009_03
Wet Feet, Monotype on catridge paper
a bit of newspaper and charcoal, too
20x15cm

LL22032009_04
More Wet Feet, Monotype on catridge paper
a bit of newspaper and charcoal, too
20x15cm

Two cool moody made with dreich and Scottish wind on a March Sunday afternoon monotypes.

It's the corner of the Loch where the river opens up into it, it has some beautiful bares trees standing in water, some rather adventurous waves came rolling in and a firm breeze in your face.

It's a great spot - I'm not sure if H. fully appreciated it, but I did! It's very moody with low clouds over the distant hills; the phtalo blue was a good choice (despite the stains it left everywhere); and the acrylics/medium is good enough to work with - it'll go into my Chile bag; not sure how it will perform under heat, but I will find out.

Here's an earlier sketch with a bit more definition:

LL22032009_01
No wet feet yet, Graphite on Cartridge paper,
25x25cm

3 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

I love that first one. For some reason it looks to me like a big penguin colony.

Anonymous said...

I like your monotypes - there is something fresh and immediate about them.

Gesa said...

Ha... penguin colony... nice one, I like it. Thanks! Thanks, too, Anna - I find the monochromatic ones quite a challenge: it's the limitation of it that makes it quite exciting to find some form of expression... will keep doing them for some time longer; but I'm also intrigued by some more 'refined' ones; but for those I need to do some more investigation into better medium/set-up... so it'll be more bare ones in the meantime...