Thursday 5 July 2007

Pastels outdoor

A few weeks of holidays are coming up. For the first week I'll be going on an organised outdoor painting spree in the Highlands. Very much looking forward to it, I've started to get organised. Until recently, most of my art attempts outdoors were restricted to sketchbook, pencils and some watercolouring for colour reference. Yet, a few weeks back I went up to Ardnamurchan with a friend for a gloriously sunny long weekend.


Shoreline, Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan

I had been to Ardnamurchan a few years ago, and remembered how beautifully remote it was. With all that sunshine the beaches were glowing and so were the Hebridean Islands in the background. This one below is from the place we stayed, at 10.15 pm westward with the sun setting behind the Outer Hebrides.



We had a car and I ended up lugging most of my art equipment with me - and I was glad I did. I had plenty of time for sketching - quick 20 mins sketches on 30x40 cm coloured pastel ground. This is one of Sanna Beach outwards - I didn't even have to exagerate the turquoise in the water.



Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan, Pastel on paper


No comments: